Sunday, December 16, 2018

Story Mode! How I Learn Truth (And A Lot Of Other Things)

When I was a gamer, my favorite part would be the story mode.  I loved being part of an epic narrative much larger than myself.  When I was in my early twenties, this became a way for me to learn history through playing "Rise of Nations." Each battle in each campaign came with an elaborate story about how and why it took place. 

For this reason, I read and watch stories to learn languages, facts, cultural details, and a lot of other things to help me serve Jesus Christ.  This is especially helpful with language learning.  If I just memorize phrases and cultural tips, it "won't stick." Without context, it's all just sounds and symbols to me.  But if there is a good story, all of the sudden, everything just clicks!  I think this is one reason why Jesus told parables; because with certain people, the truth just doesn't "click" unless you tell them a good story.  So whenever I want to teach someone facts and figures, and they just "don't get it", I use stories (both fiction and nonfiction) to get across the gospel message.  For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.*

*Romans 6:23