Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Black As Your Soul! The Temptation To Sell Out For Wealth, Status, And Attraction

"Can I put my hand on your arm?" My gorgeous twenty-five-year-old coworker's eyes glittered with joy as she smiled up at me.

"Sure," I said, and we took a photo together at our company's annual dinner. 

I was in a custom-tailored cashmere suit, in one of the most expensive hotels in the city, surrounded by beautiful women.  A banquet that would have cost thousands of dollars in the U.S. was offered to me on the company tab.  And I was an English teacher in a country where native English speakers were treated like "gods."

Wealth.  Attraction.  Status. And...

"All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me."*

That was the deal I made for the prestige I got as an English as a Second Language teacher for the most well-known company in that nation.  A deal with the devil.

Contrary to popular belief, Satan actually does honor his promises sometimes.  But his promises are half-truths; he doesn't tell you what you are really sacrificing or what you are really getting.  He did not tell me I would be forced out of that same company for my faith.  He did not tell me that those beautiful women really wanted me because they considered me a free version of Rosetta Stone or an opportunity to satisfy their "jungle fever" when their fiancees/husbands were traveling.  And he did not tell me how miserable the side effect of the city's wealth - air pollution - would make me for my entire tenure there.  He also did not tell me what I would be sacrificing: time.  Time needed to preach the gospel.  Time that, as a man approaching his mid-thirties, I no longer have much of.  

Recently, I was tempted to continue to pursue English as a Second Language in a secular capacity.  It's a noble field, but I was pursuing it for the wrong reasons.  Wealth.  Attraction. Status.  So now I make it a point only to teach English for Christian organizations.  That way, I can use my skills for Jesus Christ, and not just to build my own kingdom, which will go up in smoke as soon as I die.  Billions of people need to hear the gospel so that they can be saved from the Lake of Fire, and I don't have much time left.  For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23).

*Quote from Matthew 4:9 (ESV)