Friday, December 7, 2018

Love Your Enemies: A Lesson I Learned The Hard Way

"Are you a CHRISTIAN?!" Asked a citizen of the country where I was teaching overseas.

I hesitated for a moment, and then said:

"I am a slave of Jesus Christ."

Before this, I was one of the most popular individuals at the school, and a "big brother" figure to many of my colleagues.  Afterwards, a colleague, whom had forsaken both the Catholic faith and complementary-gender relationships, colluded with two like-minded individuals (one of whom was my direct supervisor) to force me out of the company. 

I had done everything in my power to treat them as professional colleagues and friends, to the point where I chose not to mention their lifestyle choices AT ALL, much less in a negative light.  In spite of this, I was slandered, my relationships were sabotaged, and I was eventually targeted for physical and verbal bullying because of my faith in Christ.  When I made a formal request to transfer to a different school within the company because of the mistreatment I experienced, my direct supervisor used that as an excuse to refuse to renew my contract and torpedoed the transfer. 

It was this painful experience that taught me the truth:

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever?" (2 Corinthians 6: 14-15)
The answer is NONE!  
People who obey Jesus Christ and people who commit treason against Jesus Christ will ALWAYS be enemies!  That's why Jesus Christ called us to "love our enemies."  If these people don't repent, then we can't be friends with them! Ever!  And even worse, they will burn in the Lake of Fire forever (just like we would if we had not surrendered unconditionally to Jesus Christ).  That's why we must try as hard as we can to preach and live out the gospel, which means we cannot compromise on Christ-centered one-man, one-woman marriages at all!  We must stand firm in the truth, to the point where we must cast people who promote any other type of marriage out of the church.  "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord!" (Romans 6:23 ESV).