Saturday, December 15, 2018

It's All Greek To Me (For Now)

"That's not what the Greek text says."

This is a common challenge people hurl out to cast doubt on the validity of scripture.  Yet, whenever I ask them what the Greek really says, they lower their eyes and say "I don't know."

I personally know one preacher (whom I will call Pastor Lucius) who has studied Greek for over 10 years and has assured me that the Bible has been faithfully translated.  Recently, I have started listening to a Greek version of the gospel of Matthew on Youtube on a daily basis.  Obviously, I don't fully understand it yet.  However, I have figured out enough to realize that my faith in Pastor Lucius' scholarship has been well-placed.  Nonetheless, I can't exactly bring Pastor Lucius to every spiritual conversation I wind up in, so I will continue to study Greek until I am fluent myself.  For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23, ESV).