Thursday, July 12, 2012

Why Show Mercy?

"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy." (Matthew 5:7)

Let's be honest: the majority of us would relish the opportunity to drop the hammer on someone who offended or disobeyed us.  Seriously, if you were given the authority to completely crush the person who wounded you, wouldn't you be tempted to say "payback's a witch" and give them what's coming to them?  In all likelihood, yes, and I am certainly no different.  However,  I have decided that, whenever I am in the mood to condemn someone to the harshest extent possible, I will take note of my surroundings and realize that:

1) I am not in total darkness.
2) I'm not weeping or gnashing my teeth.
3) I'm not burning in a lake of fire.

Why do I take note of these things?  Because they are what I and the rest of the human race deserve!  Sin may not seem like a big deal to us.  Then again, treason does not seem like a big deal to a traitor, and in God's sight, that's what we are.  Every time we commit an evil act, even if it's taking a paper clip from work without asking, we turn our backs on God, and are guilty of committing treason against the Almighty.  Just like treason against one's country or earthly ruler would merit death, so does committing treason against God, only more so.  That's why the "second death" that we are condemned to if we don't repent is so severe.  We have betrayed the one who sustains our very life in His hand.  In spite of this, He has chosen to offer us mercy through His Son, Jesus Christ.  If He was willing to be merciful to us, shouldn't we be willing to be merciful to others?  Take note of your surroundings, realize what you are not experiencing, and think it over.