Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Birthday America!

Today I could not go anywhere in my neighborhood without seeing fireworks go off.  It was pretty awesome, since I was afraid that I was going to have to drive to the nearest parking lot to see the celebration of our nation's birth.  I also spent most of the day with my friend Roger, which was pretty sweet.  I had a rough week, to say the least, and hanging out with him was exactly what I needed to de-stress. 

I am very thankful to be born in this country.  The thing I value the most is freedom of religion.  I spent nine months in Peace Corps on an island where there was no religious freedom.  When I changed churches there, my reputation was trashed, my job was threatened, and eventually, so was my life.  I had to be evacuated for my own safety and, fortunately, made it back to America in one piece.  As a result, I believe that all Americans should serve in Peace Corps so that they can understand just how blessed they are to be born here.  At any rate, I am currently typing up my memoir about how God helped me through that trying time, which is called "A Valiant Effort."  I cannot wait until it gets published, so that people can read about how Jesus Christ protected me through some of the worst circumstances that I have ever encountered.