Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Power Of Music Part II: Third Day and Diamond Rio Freaking Rock!

"Whenever the spirit from God came on Saul, David would take up his lyre and play. Then relief would come to Saul; he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him." (1 Samuel 16:23)


Today I listened to Third Day's album, "Revelation."  It was absolutely amazing.  Most of the time, when I listen to an artist, there are only two or three songs on a CD which I actually like.  This is why I don't buy CDs anymore: it's easier just to pay $.99 on Amazon for the one song I love.  However, "Revelation" is amazing.  Not to mention the fact that it's great to have another Christian band in which the men sound masculine.  The church has been poisoned by modern society's trend of demonizing masculinity.  There's nothing wrong with the feminine qualities of compassion, empathy, and sensitivity.  The emotional support of my female friends has gotten me through many difficult circumstances in my life.  At the same time, the masculine traits of boldness, courage, and assertiveness are virtues, not flaws.  I take pride in being adventurous enough to explore the unknown, standing up to those who abuse and mistrust others, and taking the initiative to solve problems head on.  I also try to surround myself with other men who are willing to do the same thing and become leaders and protectors, rather than hanging out with domesticated wimps who can't fight their way out of a paper bag. 

But I digress.  I also listened to Diamond Rio's "The Reason."  I enjoyed Third Day more, but I loved this album, too.  Once again, I was impressed by male singers who actually sounded like men.  I can't wait to find more awesome, uplifting Christian music like this which deals with real issues, rather than irritating, sissy nonsense.  Only music which truly praises and reflects the power of Christ will make the evil spirits leave.  I thank God that He enabled bands like Third Day, Diamond Rio, Newsboys, and others to make this kind of music.