Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pride Goeth Before A Fall

In my Wednesday night bible study, we covered Psalm 119.  What stood out to me in particular was verse 21, which is as follows:

"Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from thy commandments."

This is a stern warning to those who are arrogant and conceited.  No matter how great you think you are, God is greater still, and He can easily knock you off your pedestal.  However, this is not an admonition simply to unbelievers.  Christians can fall victim to this mentality, too.  When things go well, they assume that they can handle things on their own and start to drift away from God.  I compare this to being held up in the palm of God's hand, and shouting, "Hey God!  You can take a break!  I got this one covered!"  This is what happens:

God: All right, then.  Have it your way.

(Removes His hand)

You (falling): Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

To prevent this from happening, stay close to God, be humble, and rely on Him for support.  Psalm 119: 10-16 puts it this way:

"With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  Blessed art thou, O Lord: teach me thy statutes.  With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.  I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.  I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.  I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word."