Sunday, June 17, 2012

Getting Off My Blessed Assurance!

As I pondered about what I was going to write next on this blog, the following passage from the Bible came to mind:

"Thus speaketh the Lord of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the Lord's house should be built.  Then came the word of the Lord by Haggai the prophet, saying, Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?  Now therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.  Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.  Thus saith the Lord of hosts; Consider your ways.  Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the Lord." (Haggai 1:2-8)

Now, in context, God was rebuking the Israelites for being slackers.  They were putting off rebuilding His temple and were focusing on pampering themselves with luxurious homes.  However, in my situation, He was reprimanding me for not paying enough attention to this blog.  I was off having fun with my other one, talking about my novels, stories, and UFC, while completely ignoring my spiritual blog.  So now I am back, and am going to update this blog every day to describe how I am putting my spiritual life back together and getting right with God.  The number one thing I will fix is my prayer life.  Right now, it's nonexistent, except for the occasional outburst which I have when I get into a bind.  Making it a daily activity is now my top priority and I will do it every single morning.  The second thing I will fix is getting back into God's Word.  Yep, I said it.  The Bible is God's Word.  It's not a myth, a fable, or a highly exaggerated historical account.  It was written by God.  That's the only way that can explain why all of its books have the same message, even though it was written over a 2,000 year period, on three different continents, by about 40 different authors from every caste and way of life.  It has changed my life and I need to start using it more frequently so that it continues to change my life.  The third thing to fix is putting it into practice.  To read the Bible and not to obey what it says is like going to war and leaving your sword in its scabbard.  I'm tired of being a spiritual slacker and am getting back to work.  This blog will chronicle my transformation from the spiritual version of Marty McFly to a warrior of Christ.