Monday, June 18, 2012

Head Like A Hole!

Today, I am making a really tough decision.  I decided to stop listening to my favorite musician: Trent Reznor.  I first heard his songs in college and fell in love with his gritty, dark style immediately.  I tried listening to other industrial rock bands, but they all sound like cheap knockoffs of him.  He was blessed with an enormous amount of talent and is a musical genius.  However, after listening to "Terrible Lie" and "Heresy", I knew I had an issue.  Both songs attack the Christian faith, in particular the latter.  I struggled, wondering if I could simply listen to my favorite song of all time, "Head Like A Hole", as well as "Hurt", and ignore the blasphemous songs.  I did that for a long time, however, a question kept nagging me at the back of my mind.  I was being asked who my God was: Jesus Christ, or Trent Reznor?

Tonight, I finally made the decision to stop worshipping my musical idol.  I will continue to pray for Trent's salvation.  However, in an act of faith and repentance, I will bow down before the One I serve and stop listening to anything by NIN.