Thursday, July 21, 2011

"A Valiant Effort" Progress, a tragic villain in "Battle for Cassandra"

I have typed up to the part where I toast Koba, my Georgian host father, in "A Valiant Effort." He and my host mother are the most loving and hospital people that I have met and I consider them as close to me as my real family. What I did was actually a cultural faux-pas; in Georgia, the father is supposed to do the toasts. However, Koba was very gracious, not even mentioning it until I asked him if I had made a mistake and simply shrugging it off after I fervently apologized. That's what I love about Georgians so much; they are extremely patient and understanding.

In "Battle for Cassandra", I discovered that the villain has an eating disorder. Due to always comparing herself to her slender and flawlessly beautiful best friend, this girl has serious body issues and struggles with bulimia. The saddest thing is that she is actually very attractive herself, but doesn't believe it. I didn't set out to address this topic in my work, but now that it has shown up, I want to treat it as seriously as it deserves. Like the other subjects which I cover in my work, this issue may not be very popular in Christian circles, but honestly, I don't care. Sometimes you need to go out of your comfort zone in order to bring healing to a wounded and suffering person. After all, that is what Christ did for us, so it is the responsibility of all Christians to do the same for others, whether they want to face up to it or not.