Sunday, July 3, 2011

"The Greater Good" almost done, Sam B breaks it down on "America's Got Talent"


I am putting the finishing touches on "The Greater Good", the final title of the short story about Prince Magnus. I love it because it is a return to my roots as an action fantasy writer, complete with swordfighting, spell-casting, and battles against demonic powers. I love writing the "Nineveh Academy" short stories, but they are a recent development and are really dark, so it was nice to take a break and write something more light-hearted for a change.

At church earlier today, the pastor gave a sermon on America's Christian heritage. He stated that 95% of the Founding Fathers would be considered Evangelical Christians if they lived today. The only ones who wouldn't be in that category are Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin, and they demonstrated a growing faith in Christ later on. It was an excellent sermon and a rallying cry to bring God back to America, which is the only way to get us out of the total mess that we are in now.

I watched two episodes of "America's Got Talent" with my brother and uncle and they were great. My favorite was Sam B. He was a hilarious break-dancer who had no dance training whatsoever. Nonetheless, his jokes about getting ditched by women and given wrong phone numbers at the club and his outgoing personality really won me over. His dance moves were completely ridiculous and left me laughing for half an hour afterward, which is why I'm glad he made it through. The couple that did a rock opera version of "My Heart Will Go On" was good, too, although they shouldn't have chosen the most overplayed song in modern history. I agreed with the judges' decision to overrule the audience and push them through. However, the biggest talent I saw was the eleven-year-old Hannah singing a cover of an Alicia Keys song. It was absolutely amazing and I hope she goes far in the competition.

Anyway, back to writing. "The Greater Good" will be complete by tomorrow, as will "My Nation and My God." After that, I will focus more on books. My world is much too big for a short story to do it justice and making the 5,000-7,000 word limit is annoying. So I am going to have a publishable book ready by December. It will take a lot of work, but I'll make it happen.

(Photo from zdesi.net)