Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"What Makes Us Human" Submitted

Last night I submitted my horror story, "What Makes Us Human." I wrote it about a year ago, so it doesn't count as breaking my writing hiatus. Inspired by all the buzz about "Twilight" (which I have yet to read), I wanted to see if I could write an original story about werewolves and vampires. I wanted it to be scary, but in a psychological way rather than throwing around enough blood and guts to turn the Atlantic Ocean red. I really like the story because it also explores a clash of ideologies, one of strict, self-righteous legalism, the other unrestrained, irresponsible hedonism, which are both equally bad.

I also got an idea about a zombie story (it figures that I get all my brilliant ideas while I am "on hiatus"). However, I don't just want it to be a bunch of animated corpses on a rampage. I want these zombies to be intelligent, cunning, and ruthless, masters of deception who lure their victims in with trickery rather than simply overwhelming them with brute force and numbers. Again, I want it to be psychologically terrifying, not graphic. I'm not quite sure how I will do this yet, but I am filing this idea away for the future.