Monday, January 12, 2015

Spiritual Jiu-Jitsu: Rolling With God To Stay Pure Through Devotionals

When I taught Krav Maga, my fellow instructors and the adult students would often "roll" (the grappling equivalent of sparring) with each other to practice the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu aspect of the Israeli martial art.  Rolling was not only lots of fun, but it also helped us develop our groundfighting techniques.

For twelve days straight, I have been "rolling" with God through doing Spiritual Jiu-Jitsu, which is better known as devotionals.

This is something I have not yet mastered.  For the majority of my life, I primarily cried out to God if I wanted something or was in a crisis situation where I was completely screwed.  That, quite frankly, is as shallow as only talking to your wife when you want sex (or, if you're a lady, only talking to your husband when you want him to buy you stuff).  This year, I decided to change that and develop a meaningful relationship with Christ, not least because I want to be a pure and godly husband for my future wife.  Other reasons why I got serious this year was because:

1) I turn 30 this year and realize that I have accomplished very little for God (or in any other area of my life) during my young adult years.  My last major success was getting a Christian short story published when I was 25.  While many crises have happened in my life which were beyond my control, I also did a lot of stupid things and squandered many valuable opportunities, which made my situation even worse.  I will write the full story in a memoir called "That Was Then, This Is Now."

In other words, keeping my virginity is the only victory I currently have, which is one reason why I am clinging on to it so adamantly. 

2) Joseph, one of my favorite historical figures, became Prime Minister of Egypt at 30.  This was after Joseph spent at least 2 years languishing in jail.  His master's wife got him imprisoned because she wanted to screw his brains out and he wouldn't let her.  So she lied and claimed he tried to rape her (which is why I always tell guys never to hang out alone with a girl-whatever she says happened, happened).  This was already after his own brothers sold him into slavery to begin with.  When Joseph was 30, God vindicated him for always staying faithful, particularly in regards to his purity, by making him Prime Minister of Egypt.  I don't think I'll ever run for public office, but I do believe that this is the year that God will vindicate me as well IF I remain faithful to Him.

3) Jesus, my Savior, started His ministry when He was 30.  Since I want to honor Him, 30 sounds like a good age to get everything back on track.

Obviously, doing this is no cake walk.  The last thing our culture wants is another godly man who refuses to join or condone the antics of the Lewd World Order.  Satan and his demons don't want an authentic Christian who will rescue more soul-trafficking victims from their "Brothel of the Damned" through the gospel.  On top of that, my own heart will continue to wage the fleshly jihad of lust against my soul until I die.  In order to succeed, I must continue to do my Spiritual Jiu-Jitsu sessions with God for the rest of my life.  If I do, not only will I experience "The Sexual Force Unleashed" and "Romantic World Peace" within marriage, but I will also lead others to Christ, the only One Who can give eternal life.   

Genesis 32: 24-28, "So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man.

Then the man said, 'Let me go, for it is daybreak.'

But Jacob replied, 'I will not let you go unless you bless me.'

The man asked him, 'What is your name?'

'Jacob,' he answered.


Then the man said, 'Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.'” (NIV)