Sunday, October 26, 2014

Staying Pure Until Marriage: My Duel With Goliath

Waiting until marriage is REALLY hard.  I grew up in an uber-traditional church, became a Christian when I was seven, had overprotective parents and it was STILL hard.  Now that I am an adult who can do whatever (and whomever) I want, it's a million times harder.  I feel like I am in a daily MMA cage match with Goliath as I constantly battle my libido.  Nonetheless, it is worth it.

As far as I know, I'm the only single male Christian who has made it into their twenties with their virginity intact.  This gives me a platform to preach the gospel that few other Christian young men have.  On top of that, I still have the opportunity to look at my wife on our wedding night and say that I proved my love for Christ by loving and waiting for her before I even met her (that's another thing: you can only truly love your spouse if you love Jesus with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength).  I also have the opportunity to teach my future kids by example that it is possible to honor God through a life of purity.

To be perfectly honest, I believe that God created me primarily for this purpose: to lead people to Christ through staying a virgin until I am married.

It is because I have accepted my calling that the temptations to fall into lust have multiplied.  Now that I have committed wholeheartedly to staying a virgin until marriage, I've received more female attention than ever.  The kind of women who never gave me a second glance in college are now buying me food, flirting with me (including playful touches on my shoulder and arm), and inviting me out for drinks/clubbing/to hang out alone at their place.  To be perfectly honest, if I wound up alone with some of these women and they came on to me, they would probably turn me out and make me look stupid in front of the people I am trying to lead to Christ.  That is why I am fighting tooth and nail not only to stay pure, but to keep out of situations where I would even be tempted to have premarital sex.

I know that it is impossible for me to stay pure on my own.  I am fighting not only these gorgeous playeresses, but also the culture at large, Satan and his demons, and worst off, my own inner lusts.  Nonetheless, I know that with God, all things are possible.  So like King David before me, I shall slay Goliath with only a few stones and a sling.

1 Samuel 17: 45 "David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied." (NIV)