Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bucking the Royal Trend

While doing my "Four a Day" regimen to keep informed about what's going on in the UK, I discovered that they are changing the law of succession. Now the eldest child is the heir to the throne, regardless of whether they are a boy or a girl, and the royal monarch is allowed to marry a Catholic (although they themselves have to remain Anglican because the monarch is the head of the Church of England). Way to stick it to Henry the VIII, David Cameron! (see the announcement at this url: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15493227)

It's great to see that gender quality is being recognized in the monarchy of what was once the largest empire in world history. This truly is amazing.

I do, however, realize just how ignorant I am about Britain's politics and monarchy. I have no idea who the 16 Commonwealth nations are (I would guess Canada, New Zealand, and Australia are among them, but that's all it is, a guess). Nor do I have any idea exactly how they were involved in this decision. I'm going to need to do more research...