Sunday, February 21, 2010

Writing Update 2: The Lambert Connection

This past week, I finally finished my maps of the major setting of Part I and reread the entire manuscript. Overall, I thought it was pretty good, especially Part III, in which most of the duels and fighting takes place. The only thing that needed serious improvement besides the setting are the characters in Part II, who require a lot more development if they are to have a strong impact on Sandra.

However, before I get to that, I'm going to revise Part I. I already began to edit the first four pages and cut out some information that really isn't needed until later in the book. I also described Sandra physically, from her own perspective, and suffice it to say that the poor young lady is way too hard on herself. Additionally, I wrote a short story about an important side character, and through it, discovered their connection to Sandra's childhood hero, Lammy. Although I had to adjust her age accordly, it was a twist that not even I had expected. I think she finally gained free will, that glorious state in which a character takes control of their life and basically tells me what to write about them. I love it when that happens because that's when the story literally writes itself and I just sit back and watch as the words fly onto the page.

That's all for now. Until next week, transcend reality and find the truth!