Thursday, December 3, 2015

My Prayer For San Bernardino

Dear Heavenly Father,

Yesterday, an inexplicably evil attack was carried out at the Inland Regional Medical Center in San Bernardino, California.  Fourteen people were killed and seventeen wounded by two cowardly psychopaths.  I do not know whether or not this was a terrorist attack, Heavenly Father.  However, in light of a similar attack in Paris (combined with the fact that, according to the LA Times, two armed suspects in the slaughter are named "Syed Farook" and "Tashfeen Malik"), this is serious cause for concern.  At the same time, if this is proven to be an act of terror, I pray that You give us the wisdom to remember that not everyone who shares the heritage of those who carry out acts such as this condones them, or subscribes to the ideology that drives them. 

Please forgive those of us who have attacked Your Character with bitter phrases such as "God Isn't Fixing This."  I do not know whether or not this tragedy was permitted as divine judgment for our current state of moral decay or is simply a painful reminder of how evil the world that we live in truly is.  I do acknowledge, on behalf of my country, the possibility that, in spiritually deporting You from our society, we may have forfeited Your protection from our enemies (which we have taken for granted for so long).  In addition to comfort and healing for the victims, and justice to those who planned out this horrific crime, I pray that you soften the hearts of my fellow Americans so that they can hear the gospel and repent, so that they can spend eternity in heaven through faith in Jesus Christ.  I also pray that you forgive Christians such as myself who have repeatedly failed to stand up for and live out the gospel, and strengthen us (as well as those who have faithfully served you) to tell our countrymen about the only One who can truly save and protect them: Jesus Christ, the Messiah!

I pray this in the name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Amen!