Monday, December 15, 2014

Hell In The Cell Of My Mind: A Prayer Request For My Four-Day Fast

Next week, I will be undertaking a four-day fast for my future wife.  I have done a three-day fast before and it was hell.  Many people only think of the hunger pangs when they think of going days without food.  To be honest, that was the easy part for me after Day 2.  The worst part was Day 3, when the Holy Spirit forced me to deal with many wicked things which others have done to me and which I have done to others.  I was literally losing my mind as all of the pent up bitterness, shame, and guilt from my past assailed me like the demonic inmates of a mental prison cell.  At the same time, through forgiveness and repentance, Christ completely transformed me and strengthened my faith.

At the same time, I was convicted by the experience.  I was fasting for a woman whom I thought was a close friend/sister figure, but the reality is that she was just an acquaintance from church.  I had moved to a new area and she was the first person my age who had shown me genuine kindness, so I prematurely promoted her to "close friend" before we truly got to know each other.  Suffice it to say that I have reason to believe that, as far as she was concerned, I was just the "cute, new guy at church", so to speak and we eventually grew apart.  I realized that I had gone above and beyond to help someone who was practically a stranger and was neglecting to pray for my own future wife (whom I have yet to meet).

So next week, I will pray and fast for four days for the woman who will help me be a better man and Christian for a lifetime.  A woman who will still want to be with me long after I cease to be the "cute, new guy at church."  This will be extremely difficult, so I would really appreciate your prayers for this fast.