Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Marriage: Friendship To The Millionth Power!

"His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, this is my friend, daughters of Jerusalem." (Song of Songs 5:16)

What is the most important part of marriage?  It's not "sweet love" in the middle of the night, and it's not the "Prince Charming" fantasy land that is in romance novels.  Marriage (traditional marriage, my friends) is friendship to the millionth power.  Oh, and it's an exclusive friendship, so in this case, sharing is not caring.  Ladies, friendship is what makes you willing to please your husband, even when you have a headache.  Gentlemen, in your case, it's what makes you willing to romance your wife, even though it's football season.  When I get married, friendship will make me stay home and be romantic when UFC is playing at Duffy's.  I know that I'll have met my future wife when she makes me want to miss a title fight in the octagon for a candlelight dinner.  At any rate, that friendship is what will make your marriage last.  It won't be the "midnight dessert special" that you get from her once a week.  It won't be all the roses and fancy jewelry that he buys you with his six-figure salary.  It will be that unconditional, selfless love that made you both say "I do" to begin with.  That love that kept you together through thick and thin and that made you want to work it out after your arguments became verbal MMA grudge matches.  So remember, you are not tying the knot to get a sugar daddy, nor are you doing it for a guilt-free booty call pass.  You are doing it because you are best friends who are there for each other no matter what.  Ultimately, you are also doing it to show the world what it will be like when Christ is married to His bride, the church (Ephesians 5:31-21).  So make sure that nurturing your friendship is a priority in your marriage.  You lovebirds will have plenty of time to "get busy" and go shopping later if you want.