Sunday, March 20, 2011

"To Remind You That I Love You" finished, Hiatus from Writing, T-Bag on Breakout Kings!

Yesterday, after a grueling ten drafts, I finally finished "To Remind You That I Love You" and submitted it to Mindflights magazine. It's my best written short story to date and I even managed to sneak in some allusions to Beowulf, one of my favorite tales from my college English classes. Like "Heart of Flesh" and "Daughter of the Seven Seas", it is a Nineveh Academy story. Although it's the first one that is not told from Cassandra's perspective, she still is the key character in the tale.

On a sad note, I need to take a temporary reprieve from writing. There are some arrangements in regard to my life goals which I need to make, and which will require all of my attention for the next few months. So I will not produce any more fiction until summer. It's rough, but sometimes you got to make sacrifices in order to get what you want.

I've also got hooked on a new series called "Breakout Kings." Ever since "Prison Break" ended, I've lost a lot of interest in modern television, which mostly features dull sitcoms like "King of Queens", ridiculously offensive cartoons like "Family Guy", or smut like "Entourage." However, "Breakout Kings" is awesome, and tonight the convict was none other than the dastardly Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell, the archenemy of Michael Scofield on "Prison Break" and the most charismatic and entertaining character on the show. As I sat drinking a cocktail of cranberry juice and ginger ale, I was glued to my seat as I watched Ray and Charlie's team track T-Bag down after his third escape. There was a scene later in the hospital so touching that it almost made me cry (which I will not reveal due to spoilers) and another awesome scene with Lloyd and T-Bag at the end. In that scene, after spending the whole episode wanting to analyze T-Bag and his motives, Lloyd finally looks at him and says that the truth is very simple: "Some machines just come out of the factory broken. You are a broken machine." This echoes Alfred from "The Dark Knight" when, speaking to Batman about the Joker, he says "Some men just want to watch the world burn." In other words, that certain people are just evil for evil's sake, a truth that most of society doesn't want to face, but that we need to in order to deal with criminals properly.

What I would also love to see is for them to work Michael Scofield into the storyline somehow. A nigh impossible feat, considering that he is dead. However, maybe they could work him in through flashbacks from another character who joins the team to help capture the convicts. Hey, it could happen.

That's it for now. Until next time, stay posted.